New Mouse Install sans system-config-mouse

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu May 31 22:07:24 UTC 2007

> > The nice thing about the old system-config-mouse was that it gave
> > you a list of mice from which you could pick a best match.  I have
> > not stumbled across this list elsewhere.  I am currently
> > test machine and will see what kind of mouse configuration it
> > comes up with for the new mouse.  I will then try copying that
> > to my FC6 machine and see what happens.
> >
> > Bob S
> Well I confused the issue by posting the FC4 xorg.conf in answer to a
> previous question like this. But two further comments are interesting:
>
> I have used a PS/2 mouse on a system with 7 computers and one mouse
> through a KVM and it worked well.
>
> Second, FC6 has a different attitude towards mice. There is no mouse
> configuration clause in my xorg.conf on my FC6 machine with a
> PS/2 mouse
> so I don't know whether FC4 information will be useful on FC6.
>
> Although , our colleague Tim says this problem is rampant I have never
> experienced or heard of it before. But is it exists I am sure it is a
> hardware problem.

The new optical wheel mouse works fine if I plug it directly into the
machine.  It is only through the KVM that things get messed up.  The
old mouse works fine through the KVM.  The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file does
have an input selection with a protocol for the mouse.  If you run
Xorg -configure
from run level 3, it puts a protocol of "auto" in there on an FC6
system.
The Xorg doc says that the mouse is probed on the fly.  It appears all
the information needed is not getting through the KVM for "auto" to work
correctly.  I am hoping that by using an older Fedora which still used
X.org, I can determine what the protocol is that would be detected if
everything worked.  I would then code that in the appropriate place in
the xorg.conf file.  This of course may not work, but it is the best
idea I have at the moment.

Bob S