Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 1 14:58:02 UTC 2007

Alan Cox:
>>> If you want to change your drive behaviour from the vendor supplied
>>> defaults see "man hdparm"

Tim:
>> I have.  But what you have is an abstract range of numbers which apply
>> some sort of power management, but without any definition of what
>> those numbers mean, other than more or less power management.  You
>> don't get something like - if the drive has been idle for five
>> minutes, or X seconds, you can get the drive to park the head.

Guy Fraser:
> Isn't that the Manufacturers responsibility to provide those details?

I don't know.  I don't know if they all go about it in different ways (I
wouldn't be surprised), or if there's a consistency that the tool can
make use of to give the user an easy to understand way to use it.

e.g. Look at hdparm -S as described in the hdparm man file:

-S Set the standby (spindown) timeout for
   the drive.  This value is used by the  drive  to  determine  how
   long  to  wait  (with  no  disk activity) before turning off the
   spindle motor to save  power.   Under  such  circumstances,  the
   drive  may take as long as 30 seconds to respond to a subsequent
   disk access, though most drives are much quicker.  The  encoding
   of  the  timeout  value  is  somewhat peculiar.  A value of zero
   means "timeouts are disabled": the device will not automatically
   enter standby mode.  Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5
   seconds, yielding timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes.  Values
   from 241 to 251 specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, yield-
   ing timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5 hours.  A value of 252  sig-
   nifies  a  timeout  of 21 minutes. A value of 253 sets a vendor-
   defined timeout period between 8 and 12 hours, and the value 254
   is  reserved.  255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15 seconds.
   Note that some older drives may have very different  interpreta-
   tions of these values.

That option supposedly has some values that you can expect to do
something in particular.

NB:  Spindown is a different issue that what we've been discussing (head
parking), I'm just picking on it as an example of an option with some
defined parameters.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.