RPM

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 1 21:13:11 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>    My opinion is the book is just as good today as it was 10 years
>>> ago. The updates have been to solve bugs and make the code better at
>>> doing what it does. And the way to make a rpm file has not changed
>>> in 10 years.
>>
>> Does the book cover the split in functionality between the rpm and
>> rpmbuild programs that happened some time ago? 'man' will show what
>> each does now.
>>
>> Also, you really want to understand 'yum' before trying to do much
>> with the lower level rpm commands.  If you are trying to install
>> something that exists in a yum-compatible repository, you should use
>> yum instead of touching rpm directly, and if you are building rpms
>> yourself for more than one machine you'll probably want to put them
>> in a yum repository that all machines can access.
>>
>    Well I know from reading man yum that it uses rpm and if there is a
> problem with rpm then yum errors out. We see that a lot on this list.
> I will check the book on rpmbuild programs and see what they and check
> that with the man page.

    OK. The book Maximum RPM does not even mention rpmbuild. For this
function I think the early work was done with amanda. I expect most of
rpmbuild is in amanda but not easy to check.

    It does talk to moving your rpm building to your own non-root
directories and I have been using this before a lot.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User