What use are these (rpm) entries in 'man'?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Nov 2 17:01:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 10:57:57AM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> >
> > OK, maybe, but it would be *much* more useful if one was pointed at
> > some information about the thing in question, e.g. 'man -k yelp' tells
> > me:-
> >
> >     yelp                (rpm) - A system documentation reader from the Gnome project
> >
> > but doesn't give me a clue as to how to find out anything else.  The
> > whole point of 'man -k' or 'apropos' is surely to point at the place
> > where you can find out more about they keyword you have entered.
> >
> Sure it provides a clue - not much more then a clue, but none of the
> entries produces by man -k give you more then a clue. For example,
>
> xlsclients           (1x)  - list client applications running on a
> display
>
> does not tell you to run man xlsclients.

Apart from the (rpm) references *everything* returned by man -k refers
to a man page. It used to be the whole point of man -k, if you wanted
to find the man page for, say, a terminal application you could say
'man -k terminal', and it'll return things that point you at the
manual pages for terminal applications.  Now it returns other (rpm)
things as well which *don't* point at man pages.

--
Chris Green