Fedora 8

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:33:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 18:10 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> zotkop wrote:
> > Only 4 hours left till the release of Fedora 8.
> > Am I right?
> > Could be that I had some miscalculations (I'm @ gmt +1)
> >
> > With love from Belgium,
> >
> > The impatient
>     Well I installed F8 and the trouble started. It booted fine but as
> usual the Nvidia was all bad.

Please define all bad?
Did you get a working X display?
Were you using the OSS driver or were you using the nVidia-supplied
binary driver?

> I had to write the proper things in
> /etc/X11/file that got the pointer working.

Pointer?

> Then I had to mount my F7 to
> F8 and copy the Nvidia bash file to F8 and on the 8th reboot F8 came up
> fine with the proper image size ect.

OK.  I gather that you are using the binary driver.
... If you have problems with the binary driver, please report it to
nvnews.net [1].

> But then the worst possible grub bug showed up! I tried to boot to F7
> but it was impossible :-(
>
>     After a few tests I discovered that the F7 boot partition was
> (hd0,5) and the F8 boot partition was (hd0,5). I tried to get F7 booted
> but no luck. I finally unplugged the god dam SATA hard drive, re-did the
> grub thing from the rescue CD and here I am back on F7 :-)
> The Grub problem is because both boot partitions are partition 6. I
> will fix this tomorrow.

I assume that both are sitting on different disks, right?
Be aware that if they are on two different disks, minor changes in the
BIOS (read: boot from disk 0 vs boot from CDROM) might change the disk
order that is being supplied -by the BIOS- causing you to boot from the
wrong disk.

>     There will be a bug written on the poor ability of F8 to work on a
> computer with Nvidia VGA system even though anaconda found the proper
> VGA and called it Nvidia.

What is the nature of bug?
X doesn't start? X goes down after a while? garbled display?

Have you reported the bug? [2]

- Gilboa
[1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com