Fedora lifetime and stability

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Nov 9 10:05:18 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> Actually, I'm not going to continue this discussion. I wanted
>> just to share my thoughts. I know that I'm not alone. For
>> example, here
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html
>> is also said enough, on both sides. And my opinion is that
>> Fedora will only win if testing period and release lifetime
>> will be at least twice longer.
> That aside, it seems that you are in the minority. Most of us
> (currently) here are quite comfortable with how things are.

How do you know?
Have you some feedback on this?

I don't necessarily agree with the OP,
but he seemed to me to ask a perfectly sensible question,
and basically was told to stuff it.

There must be some rational reason for choosing 6 months.
Why not 6 years, or 6 minutes?

I have been running the Fedora-8 KDE Live CD (on a USB stick)
since last night, with no problems at all.
[The only difficulty was that it required a last-minute update
of F-7 livecd-tools, which I had not actually installed.]

But at first glance F-8 doesn't look to me
significantly different to F-7 with updates.
So it is not entirely clear to me that it was actually
worth putting out a new distribution in this case
(unlike F-6 and F-7, where there seemed to be major changes).
However, I may be talking nonsense, as I haven't looked closely at F-8.