I would like Just a bit of advice about Fc8?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Nov 9 20:37:30 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 10:14 -0700, Craig White wrote:

>>> Unless you need the memory or extra horsepower that a 64-bit gives you
>>> (and it sounds like you really don't), then I'd stick with the 32-bit
>>> version.  Most of the 64-bit applications are up to snuff, but there's
>>> some third-party stuff that's not there yet (e.g. a 64-bit FLASH plugin
>>> for Firefox).
>>>
>> ----
>> I've been getting by with nsplugin-wrapper package on F7-x86_64 with my
>> users and no one has been complaining (that allows 32 bit plugins such
>> as flash and acrobat-plugin to work).
>>

> Yes, I'm aware of it.  It has been problematic at times for me (some
> plugins badly misbehave under it on some hardware platforms).  None the
> less, it's a stopgap measure, it doesn't always work and I can't
> recommend it unless you understand what problems may come along with its
> use.
>
> On the other hand, Adobe's had MORE than adequate time to put a 64-bit
> plugin out there.  We've had 64-bit Linux for how long now?  Two years
> at least.  C'mon, gang!  Fire up the compilers and let's go!

The problem is much deeper than ISVs not porting to 64 bit systems.

1. SUN has been building 64 bit systems for many years.  All SUN
platforms sold from late 1997 on have been 64 bit. That is 10 years now.
  Where is the 64 bit Java?

2. Itanium was a bomb (sales wise) and intel and HP are now twice bitten
on 64 bit platforms for commodity users.

3. Microsoft has no reason to go to 64 bit platforms and barely pays lip
service to it in order to manage large account requirements.

4. AMD's success building a 64bit commodity 686 compatible CPUs is what
motivated intel to bolt it onto all current intel CPUs.

5. It is still quite impossible for consumers to recognize 64bit capable
CPUs from marketing materials and part numbers for many main line
products.  Test:  Which intel Core Duo models are 64bit capable?  Test:
Are there AMD Turion models that are 64bit capable that do NOT have 64
in their name?

So with the heart of US based computing services all dragging their
heals on 64 bit platforms, ISVs are extremely reluctant to even look at it.

If Microsoft actually did what they said they would do (and what they
should have done) and release a 64bit only Vista, then Adobe (and
everyone else) would already be there.

So were they really serious about going to 64bit based platforms?

For myself, the actions of a company speak for that company.