creating custom initrd

info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Fri Nov 9 23:14:50 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 15:14 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:33 +0100, info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to define which modules mkinitrd should add to the initrd?
>>>
>>> I have a custom initrd, but after every kernel upgrade, it recreates the
>>> initrd. When it does this,
>>> I loose the extra module I need, so I end up recreating the initrd
>>> myself again.
>>>
>>> I know in Ubuntu and Debian there is a file somewhere in /etc/sysconfig
>>> that defines the modules
>>> to use when building the initrd. But I have yet to find this file in Fedora.
>>>

>> The --with option in mkinitrd
>>

> mkinitrd will load any modules required to mount the root filesystem
> (e.g. SCSI, ext3, network [if / is on an NFS volume], etc.)  If you need
> additional modules, then "--with=name-of-module" is required.

> - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> - CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
> -  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
> -                             wrong answers                          -

Yea, but when installing a new kernel, this "new" module would not be
added to the new initrd.
I have fedora installed, and sometimes I use vmware to load it, and
sometimes I just boot
to it. When I boot it, without using vmware, I need the sata_nv driver,
but when I use vmware, it's not
needed (some other vmware drivers are needed though).

On Debian you would add the module to "/etc/mkinitrd/modules". Every
time a new kernel would
be installed it would recreate an initrd with the module(s) defined in
that file. I was trying to find something
like that on Fedora.