f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 9 23:56:03 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>

>>> I would and I have done that several times before or pointed out more
>>> references which explain things in detail. I don't get the impression
>>> that it is getting through much.
>>
>> In this thread? I've never thought NM ready for use, so I generally
>> ignore threads dealing it. I joined this one because it's been running
>> a while. A link to some how-to info in this thread may have informed me.
>
> Not in this thread but in several others. There has been detailed
> reports in Fedora Weekly News too. It has been much improved in Fedora 8
> but the visibility there is limited to those using it. Refer
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNetworkManager

That's not exactly user documentation, I'm not surprised it doesn't get
much attention.

Don't assume users are technical folk; if you're writing for Fedora
developers or even average Fedora user on this list, you're aiming at
the wrong audience.

I'm a geek of many years' standing, but I really don't want to have to
be a geek to do this stuff. I'd rather get on with administering
computers for The Boss (I get paid for that), planning my investments (I
might get paid for that too, if I do it well), renovating the house,
getting back to my photography.

>> Who's Chuck Morris anyway? I didn't find that useful. What I want to
>> know is what works now.
>
> It does have that info too if you read it.

I tried, there's no much irrelevant material and I got bored. I want
information, not in jokes set in a context I don't understand.

ps those two bugs seem fairly critical to me.

pps Use of Ubuntu's upstart may help, it can start system services
(/etc/iit.d) as services (eg network, USB devices) become available.
It's also pretty quick.

--

Cheers
John