Excessive network traffic -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 11 15:22:16 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Scott van Looy wrote:
>> Today Bob Goodwin did spake thusly:
>
> ithout internet?  But
>>> that doesn't define/identify the problem.
>>
>> Run the spyware detection stuff at www.prevx.com on the XP machine,
>> see if there's any spyware. Often spyware can be a cause of mystery
>> bandwidth stealing
>>

> really, you need to measure the problem (mrtg) to help decide what the
> problem is. Microsoft's malware removal kit it worth running for
> reasons unconnected to this problem, and may well help, but until you
> know whether the kids (or someone else) is deliberately doing it, even
> possibly without knowing it, you won't know whether it's fixed.

AT last I have an ethernet hub connected between the Wildblue satellite
receiver and the router, 50 ft. of cable snaking through the house to an
old Gateway 450 mHz computer running F7 and I have been looking at
"iptraf" for about 18 hours now trying to make some sense of what I'm
seeing.

I hope it is getting everything transferred through eth0!  So far I
don't see enough activity to justify our high traffic indications but I
have had both Windows computers disconnected from the LAN while the
users are off on a camping trip.

This morning I installed MRTG but despite the documentation I have not
been able to get it to display anything except :

ERROR: Mrtg will most likely not work properly when the environment
       variable LANG is set to UTF-8. Please run mrtg in an environment
       where this is not the case. Try the following command to start:

       env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg

and then:

------------------------------

 env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg
Usage: mrtg <config-file>

mrtg-2.15.1 - Multi Router Traffic Grapher

Copyright 1995-2006 by Tobias Oetiker
Licensed under the Gnu GPL.

If you want to know more about this tool, you might want
to read the docs. You can find everything on the
mrtg website:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Can someone suggest what I need to put in the config file to view
everything happening on eth0?  I have not yet put anything in config.

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin

.