upgrade F7 to F8 problems

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Sun Nov 11 15:16:38 UTC 2007

In general, using yum upgrade on two machines has gone well.
On both, I have a problem I can't resolve. I have ended up with two versions
of avahi.

# rpm -qa | grep avahi
avahi-0.6.21-6.fc8
avahi-qt3-0.6.21-6.fc8
avahi-compat-howl-0.6.21-6.fc8
avahi-compat-libdns_sd-0.6.21-6.fc8
avahi-devel-0.6.21-6.fc8
kdnssd-avahi-devel-0.1.3-0.2.20060713svn.fc8
kdnssd-avahi-0.1.3-0.2.20060713svn.fc8
avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7
avahi-glib-0.6.21-6.fc8

So, I have two versions of avahi, now - the fc7 and fc8
Attempts to remove avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7 result in an error:

# rpm -e avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7
error: %postun(avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

I get a similar message using smart, yum, or kpackage

Can anyone give me an idea of how to proceed?

Oh yes, and this is the third try at sending this email - I'm getting messages
saying the redhat server is having trouble doing a virus scan on this
text-only, non-html message....
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA