F8 Anaconda - partition table unreadable

Rich Bishop rjb38 at drexel.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:09:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

Sorry for the double post. I managed to put the other one in the middle of an old thread.

I'm trying to install Fedora 8 on a T42 thinkpad which is currently
running FC6. I have a separate partition for /home which contains all of
my data that needs to be preserved. After selecting the keyboard type
the installer pops up a window saying "The partition table on device sda
was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized, causing
the loss of ALL DATA on this drive". Well, I obviously don't want that,
so I say no, and then I have no drives to install to on the next screen.

Running fdisk -l /dev/sda in the shell on virtual console 2 shows
partition information - but I've just noticed that the information
appears to be wrong:

Under Core 6: Drive is 60GB, 7296 cylinders
Under F8: Drive is 56.4GB, 6859 cylinders

The partitions look the same, but under F8 my last partition appears to
hang off the end of the disk (as it ends on cylinder 7296).

Rich