Fedora 8 and VMware

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:19:23 UTC 2007

Greg Sieranski <greg.sieranski <at> quoininc.com> writes:

> The application crashes with the following message:
> /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so: undefined symbol:
> g_get_user_special_dir

There was a thread[1] on the VMware forums that discussed this error.  The
workaround is to add "VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no" to the command-line.
"VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no vmware".  My guess of the cause is that the libraries
shipped with VMware are not compatible with the libraries shipped by Fedora 8.
It is probably that the libgnome-vfs.so, dynamically loaded by gtk, needs a
symbol not provided by the old version of GTK available with VMware.  The
solution is to use the system GTK.

 - Ian

[1] http://communities.vmware.com/thread/104553