Can't remove or change a directory [corrected]

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Thu Nov 15 19:55:30 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 11:44 -0800, Les wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 13:49 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
>>
>>> I have an fc7 box that I'm trying to remove a directory on. I don't
>>> remember why I was playing with the directory permissions in the first
>>> place, but I just want to get rid of it.
>>>
>>> the directory is in /root and looks like this:
>>> dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2007-11-09 15:35 tmp
>>>
>>> I can't do anything with it. Any file change I try to make, chmod, rm,
>>> mv, etc I get this error like:
>>> chmod: changing permissions of `tmp': Read-only file system
>>>
>>> How can I get rid of this directory? I've been googling in circles and
>>> can't find a solution.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James
>>>

>> Hi, James,
>> 	Since root owns the directory, you have to be root to change it.  BUT!!
>> be aware that tmp is a system directory.  Any buffering, temporary
>> storage, or image viewing you do on the internet likely uses this
>> directory.
>> 	Try the following:
>> 	su -
>> 	enter the password for root as requested
>> 	cd /
>> 	chmod 777 tmp
>> 	chmod +t tmp
>> 	ls -al | grep tmp
>> 	drwxrwxrwt   ## root root #### 2007-11-15 11:24 tmp
>>
>> 	Note that ## is
>>
>                                    a number which I think is size in
> blocks which includes the file in the directory, and that #### is the
> size of the actual file
>
>> The t symbol marks the file as temporary, which is of interest to some
>> utilities during boot.  IF you omit the t, the tmp fill will eventually
>> overflow because it is not being flushed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Les H

I think he does not mean the /tmp directory, but rather a directory in
/root/tmp.
Anyway, "read-only filesystem" means what it says. You cannot change
anything on a filesystem
that is read-only. You cannot remove directories, edit files, change
permissions, etc.

As Mikkel already said, the output of the mount command is a bit more
helpfull to solve this problem.