Problem booting from PXE/kickstart on FC7

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Thu Nov 15 20:36:49 UTC 2007

Gary Schlachter wrote:

> Mike Wright wrote:
>
>> Gary Schlachter wrote:

>>> Yes to all since I am able to boot other systems with FC1 from the
>>> same setup.  My PXE prompt has multiple options one of which is
>>> Fedora Core 1 and another is Fedora Core 7.
>>>

>> Our APPEND lines are very different.  Here's mine:
>>
>> APPEND ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1 initrd=images/fc7-install.img
>> network ks=nfs:lan51:/opt/fc7/ks.cfg
>>
> My default file looks like below with no line breaks:
>
> prompt 1
> default linux
> timeout 100
>
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1 initrd=initrd.fc7.img network
> ks=nfs:10.254.13.1:/home/tftpboot/kickstart/10.254.13.112-kickstart
> ramdisk_size=9216
>
> When I get to the boot line, I type "linux".  The vmlinuz and
> initrd.fc7.img are loaded. Then a "Ready" message appears.  Then the
> system boots with Fedora Core 7.  Is there any way I could try your
> fc7-install.img?  I still wonder if that is where my problem lies.

I took vmlinuz and initrd.img from F-7-i386-DVD.iso/images/pxeboot.
Files sizes are vmlinuz: 1856340 and initrd.img: 5674432.

I just reread the thread and think your custom initrd.img is a problem.
  There shouldn't be any need to use lvm to read a cd/dvd.  I always
just use the kernel and ramdisk image from the iso.