looking for suggestions - radeon display bad

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 16 02:51:27 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> yeah, I will probably have to do something like a bugzilla entry on the
> radeon xorg driver which as far as I can tell, works like crap (major
> regression) and no one has suggested otherwise thus far. I also got the
> impression that xorg is working with ATI's new open source effort to
> improve this so this may be an in-between problem.
>
> This is how I got the 'fglrx' driver to work on Fedora 8 with Livna
> repository....
>
> # to get rid of the vestiges of a failed install attempt...
> yum remove \
>   kmod-fglrx \
>   kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 \
>   xorg-x11-drv-fglrx \
>   livna-config-display
> rpm -ivh \
>   /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/kmod-fglrx \
>   /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 \
>   /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/xorg-x11-drv-fglrx \
>   /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/livna-config-display
>
> Now I will note that I am use x86_64 which installs compat-libstdc++-33
> for both x86_64 and i386 as dependencies (but they come from Fedora, not
> Livna)
>
> My problem with the above was that it seemed to hang while installing
> kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 which as far as I could tell, was while doing
> linking and finally, I just installed via rpm which worked.
>
> Craig

If my venture into the new X does not pan out, I will try to download
the fglrx related rpms with yum, test them to see if they work,
uninstall them and then use rpm to install from the cached rpms in yum.

I removed them because every time I booted with them, rhgb would work
but when it proceeded to gdm it crashed. I would log in as root, change
the driver back to radeon and things would be the normal radeon washed
out display. When I booted again the fglrx driver would be placed in the
xorg.conf and rinse, lather, repeat.

I'll report back if the new X works better from development. They
changed the X11 driver ABI according to this post.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-November/msg00883.html

And nv/Intel/radeon  are expected to work if I read this posting the way
it was intended to mean.

http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=119500155426020&w=2

That is, if the GUI works post upgrade of X.

Jim

--
If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average.