video turns off just when os starts services when booting F8 after fresh install

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 16 04:06:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 20:16 -0500, Ferindo Middleton wrote:
> I've recently upgraded my F6 to F8. The install finished ok but when
> the computer boots it gets to the boot loader, finishes and starts
> booting up the kernel and then when it gets to the point where it show
> the type I for Interactive boot and just after it starts the udev
> service, the screen goes blank and never returns. There was no
> indication during the setup that there was a problem with the video
> card (I installed using the graphical installer by the way).

I'm wondering if it's simply at that point that RHGB kicks in, and tries
to display in a mode that your monitor doesn't support, so it blanks
out.  Once booting had finished, you could try using CTRL ALT and the +
or - keys on the number pad to change resolutions (something I can't do,
as my laptop doesn't have a numberpad).

Removing rhgb from the kernel line in the grub.conf file would show
whether this was the case.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.