Pulseaudio doesn't seem to work in surround/multi-card configuration: (Was: F8/KDE - wrong ownership on all audio devices.)

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 16:40:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 06:16:07PM +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 10:48 -0500, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> > The pulseaudio changeover didn't affect how permissions were handled --
> > that was all about moving from using pam_console to letting ConsoleKit
> > manage it.
> >
> > Even though the ownership of the devices is still root, ConsoleKit
> > should be adding your user to the ACLs on the devices.
> >
> > Is the "ConsoleKit" service started?  It needs to be running.
> >
> > Does running "getfacl" on those devices list you in the entry?  If
> > things are working correctly, it should.
>
> Thanks.
> /dev/snd/*, /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer all have valid ACLs.
> (user:gilboa:rw-)
> It looks like a pulseaudio problem.
> While it does start, I get no sound and older OSS/Alsa application
> either fail miserably (cannot open /dev/dsp) or stay mute. (amarok over
> xine)

Yeah, it does look like something's up with pulseaudio.

I'm not really well-versed in troubleshooting it, but most of the time
any problems I've had came from not having the right compatibility
modules or plugins installed, I suspect because I upgraded.

It wasn't in the list of packages you listed because it doesn't have
"pulse" in its name, but do you have the "xine-libs-extras" package
installed?  There's a "xineplug_ao_out_pulseaudio.so" plugin in there.

HTH,

Nalin