a way to correct a corrupt F8 iso file ?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 19 00:45:27 UTC 2007

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 19Nov2007 07:09, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> | hicham wrote:
> |>  I've downloaded a F8 dvd iso file, but after cheking the sha1sum, it
> |> gives me the wrong series of letters and numbers :(
> |> I was wondering if there is a tool that correct the iso file without
> |> having to download everything from scratch
> |
> | Find an rsync mirror.
> |
> | Do not use --checksum, the host will be upset with you. The time I needed
> | to do it (and the time I was told not to --checksum), rsync wasn't doing
> | anything, I think because the local time and size matched. What eventually
> | worked was copying the image with dd, using blocksize and count to copy 1k
> | less than the actual size.
>
> It would have been faster to just touch(1) the .iso file. Then the mtime
> wouldn't match.

Probably, but not actually having done it that way myself, I wasn't
about to say categorically that it would work*.

I was exchanging email with Jason at planetmirror about it at the time.
We were both scratching our heads.

* I have clobbered a download by trying to download what turned out to
be a symlink to what I actually wanted. Downloaded the symlink nicely,
but uselessly.

--

Cheers
John