Fedora7 USB GPS problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 19 05:32:49 UTC 2007

Paul Olson wrote:
> Hello-
>    Having a problem getting a DeLORME USB GPS LT-20 device working with
> my Fedora 7 laptop.  It is supposed to work with the cypress_m8 serial
> module.
>
> when I loaded the module and plugged in the device, it created the
> device (a ls -l in /dev shows this:  crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188,  0
> /proc/bus/usb/devices':
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  5 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=1163 ProdID=0200 Rev= 0.01
> S:  Manufacturer=DeLorme Publishing
> S:  Product=DeLorme USB Earthmate     C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80
> MxPwr=100mA
> I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cypress
> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=6ms
> E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=6ms
>

> when I do a 'cat /dev/ttyUSB0' I get basically nothing as output.  Some
> Internet searching tells me to comment out line 408 (that haas the code
> 'cypress_set_dead(port);') in the cypress_m8.c file and recompile the
> module.  At this point I am stuck.  I found the file and there is the
> appropriate line at position 408, I can comment it out but do not need
> to know what to do to recompile this module.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Paul Olson

Before you go to the trouble of re-compiling the module, you may
want to check things out a bit more. As far as I know, none of the
GPS modules will give you anything when using "cat <device>". This
is because you have to set the serial port up, (correct baud rate,
data bits, etc.) and then send it the commands to start it up.

Do you have the gpsd package installed? It should work just fine
with this unit. I am not sure if the latest gpsd package will handle
hot-plugging this GPS, or if you will have to start gpsd yourself,
and tell it to use this port. I have a package that adds some stuff
to udev that I use to manage gpsd, and auto add/remove hot-plugged
devices. I am not sure if it is the official repo though. (I have a
different USB GPS, but I grabbed the device infor from the old gpsd
hotplug code.)

Mikkel