F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:11:35 UTC 2007

Hi Paul,

On Nov 19, 2007 4:14 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:36:48 -0200
> > André Costa <blueser at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My problem now is Mozilla plugins:
> >
> > Do all of your plugins show up under about:plugins ?
> >
> > On this x86_64 machine I had to create symbolic links from the files
> > in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins before they would show up.
> >
> > I just tried watching a trailer on apple.com and it worked.
> >
> > --
> > MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> >

> I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64.  The i386
> version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.
>
> What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?

This is pretty much what I've done, too. Damn Adobe and Sun for not
providing 64bit versions of their plugins (Java also doesn't work with
firefox-64), and Apple for not providing QuickTime at all.

The main difference is that I kept x86_64 version around so that I
don't need to remove yelp (which depends on it). This is only possible
if you install firefox-32, which provides a convenient way of starting
the 32bit version (you will need to modify gnome-panel's applet
accordingly, and also preferred browser setting).

HTH

Andre