Network issues with F8

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 03:09:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 7:24 AM, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 1:54 AM, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 2007 5:16 PM, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am having some very strange network setup issues with F8.
> > My tendency, anymore, with the huge distributions such as Fedora or
> > Ubuntu is to leave the install as close to the original as possible
> > (as it is out of the box - so to speak).  So, you might try re-doing
> > the Live CD install this time leaving Network manager alone but
> > specifying a static IP on the Ethernet interface during the install or
> > by using "System > Administration > Network".
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I know the steps needed to set up static IPs and the steps you
> suggested are the steps I followed and have done a bazillion times
> since before Fedora existed. However, leaving NetworkManager in place
> is not possible since it is a known issue that NM will clobber any
> manual settings (including those introduced by system-config-network)
> that you do unless you disable it. They are mutually exclusive systems
> for handling network config.
>
> Hopefully this changes soon but there does not seem to be a GUI way
> for NM to handle static IPs in F8 (AFAIK, they devs consciously left
> that out just to get the new NM infrastructure out the door for F8 and
> intend to add it in when it is available). You might be able to dig
> into the guts of NM and make it do so but at that point it makes sense
> to just use the old style of GUI config. Unfortunately, I am
> experiencing issues with that.
>
> --

Hi again Michael Wiktowy!

Apologies, I wish I had been more thorough!

I tried what you wanted to do on my laptop forgetting that I have not
yet put F8 on it but am rather still plugging away with F7.

When I did try the experiment on a test rig I have installed F8 on I
saw your problem.  However, in System > Administration > Services --
Disabling the NetworkManager service and then enabling "network"
resulted in the desired settings (set as above) upon restart.

I do hope this helps!

Tod