Fonts (Firefox/Windows & Firefox/Linux)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 24 05:16:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 19:30 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> I got everything (KDE and Gnome) set to 96 dpi and I installed the MS
> core fonts. However, I still can't make certain pages look like they
> do in Windows.

Here, they looked quite okay in Firefox and Opera, as I already had them
set up (I have lots of fonts installed, but I've never played around
with any other font trickery).

If you have a quick look at the styling for that page, there's fonts
named before "Arial" (the one you've been playing with in your
configuration), in the font list:

body{font-size:90%;font-family:calibri,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;margin:0px 0px 20px 0px;background:#FFF}
blockquote{font-family:calibri,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;background:#F5F5F5;color:#333;padding:5px}

If anything matches them, whether directly or as an equivelent, they'll
get used, instead.

Browsers seem to play all sorts of font rendering games, outside of your
system font rendering schemes.  It can be next to impossible to get two
different ones to look the same.  I'd just settle for making things easy
to read.

I'm not sure that setting them to the same numerical size value is going
to work as expected, it often doesn't.  Some use point sizing, others
use pixel counts (and wrongly use pixels, too).

For the user, point sizing in their browser configuration would be
easiest.  When done properly, point-sized text is the same physical size
no matter how or where it's rendered (disregarding doing stupid things
with DPI parameters - rather than correct settings or inappropriate use
of DPI).  Pixel-sized text will have different sizes depending on the
pixel count on your screen, plus also any scaling factors when they play
silly buggers with DPI settings.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386