"apt" to eventaully replace "rpm"?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Nov 25 20:14:18 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   a book i'm reading contains the sentence:
>>
>> "It remains to be seen whether Apt will become the preferred tool for
>> package management for RPM users."
>>
>>   i was unaware that that was even a possibility.  is it?
>>
>> rday
>
> I would not think so. the Debian package that is equivalent to rpm is
> dpkg. Like rpm it can install stuff, whinge about missing deps and so on.
>
> The apt suite wraps it, as the yum suite wraps rpm.
> apt-get fixes the deps that dpkg complains about, downloads stuff,
> installs it, downloads source and wraps the build process.

    Not now I think. I got 88 updates to my new Ubuntu system which
works much faster than yum, and it seems to have no problems yet. I ran
into my old problem because I hate vi, I wanted to change a file and
typed $ joe fstab and it didn't do that but a panel showed up saying if
you want use joe do this: sudo atp-get install joe. I did this and apt
went to work and in seconds I had a joe editor installed. Nice.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User