Serial Port Bug?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Nov 27 15:48:21 UTC 2007

    I have a software I like to use called gmfsk which uses the serial
port to turn on and off the transmitter in my radio. It worked fine on
my old computer. Now when I try to run gmfsk it puts up an error panel
that says "Not a serial or parallel port". This made me think the new
computer which has a serial port that is not working.

    With a volt meter I find some pins have a constant -10.7 volts on
them which is the standard RS-232 for a no-data signal. In this static
measure the voltmeter sees no positive volts near +12 volts.

    Wanting a way to test the serial port I recalled minicom and after
getting it set up on /dev/ttyS0 it seems happy with Com 1. The old
/dev/modem is gone on F7. But now what is a way to drive the serial port
pins to a constant plus voltage with minicom?

    I have a scope that I can use if there are no way to make a constant
positive voltage. My fear is that the serial port is broken and can't
make a positive voltage.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User