Fonts (Firefox/Windows & Firefox/Linux)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 28 07:06:42 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> DPI means dots per inch.  i.e. How many dots are there for displaying
>> something within an inch of display space.  This value should be what
>> the display actually is.  Once set, the system can display things at
>> their real sizes upon demand.  e.g. If you have to draw a 1 cm circle,
>> you can do so.  Likewise for other precise, and absolute sized, fonts.

Jorge Fábregas:
> I've been trying to set my DPI to 96 (in all places) around my system ...Now I
> just figured out the actual DPI for my LCD is 86.  I like the way my fonts
> look now (and their sizes) with 96 dpi....  Can we say the correct thing is
> to set my system to 86 dpi and then change the fonts on my apps (to probably
> one or two points higher)?

I wouldn't worry, too much, about extreme precision, unless you had a
need for it.  e.g. You produce pamplets and you need exact measurements
and reliable test renderings on screen.

The correct thing is the correct thing, something else is not.  But it
probably doesn't matter too much.

I pressed the point, earlier on, because it really was barking up the
wrong tree (buggering several other things up, to suit one problem).
Messing with the DPI affects more than just font rendering.  Those who
advocate doing so, wreck a plethora of other things for other people,
that would be fixed by doing the whole thing correctly.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.