insert file?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:11:45 UTC 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 2:56 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > head -n 3 file;who;tail -n $(echo "$(wc -l file | cut -d " " -f 1) -3" |bc) file
>
> ( head -n3 file; who; tail +3 file) > newfile 2> errors
>
> Much easier ;)

Dang!  Missed that at the end of man tail.  Would have saved me from
remembering some of the syntax I suggested.  But mine puts hair on
your chest!  If there is an easy way and a hard way to do something,
real men take the hard way.  That's why women don't need hair on their
chest, because they are smart enough to take the easy way.

It does show an interesting way to incorporate calculations in a
command so all is not lost.

Jacques B.