TCP/HTTP Bug Fedora Core 8 (and 6)

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 21:15:46 UTC 2007

Unfortunately the server I discovered the problem with is not mine so I'm
not keen to give out its address and now that I have identified a problem
with it I'm sure the owner will quickly sort it out as any visitor using a
recent version of Linux or using Windows Vista will have problems accessing
their web site.

It shouldn't really happen if your router is a recent model or has up to
date rom and has been configured correctly.

>From the information on http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/ the rfc for this
change was published in 1992! From the looks of things people started
noticing issues in 2004 when it appears to have become a default in Linux
kernels. It also appears to be turned on in Windows Vista by default.

If you find it means someone is probably running a very old router or
firewall or has mis configured it.

Duncan