insert file?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Nov 28 23:23:39 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:

> No, that is the correct syntax.  No -n when telling tail to start at
> the "N"th line.
>
> tail -n 5
> will give you the last five lines
> tail +5
> will start at the fifth line (according to man pages, so doesn't skip
> 5 lines - I tested it earlier but didn't pay close enough attention -
> not in Linux now so can't test right now) and give you the rest of the
> file
>
> Jacques B.

Maybe it is just the version of tail in Fc6, but this is what I get:

$ tail +3 README
tail: cannot open `+3' for reading: No such file or directory
==> README <==
Revelation depends on the following software:
<--------[The rest of the file]--------->

$ tail -n +3 README
secure place, and gives access to them through a user-friendly graphical
interface.
<--------[The rest of the file]--------->

The file starts with:
Revelation is a password manager for the GNOME 2 desktop, released
under the GNU GPL license. It stores accounts and passwords in a single,
secure place, and gives access to them through a user-friendly graphical
interface.

and ends with:
Revelation depends on the following software:

- GNOME 2.10
- GTK+ 2.8
- Python 2.3
- pygtk 2.8