Is Beagle a Good Thing?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 14:55:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

 > "man beagled" says it is "a system for searching
 > and managing your personal information space",
 > which I don't find very informative, or convincing.

Its one of the various desktop search engines around - You know, the
ability to search through all your files, emails, conversations etc. for
whatever criteria you want. If you like that sort of thing then that is
what it does.

very badly in my opinion - it is well known to be a resource hog (also
it is based on the mono package, which in my opinion is a bad design
choice  and mono should never have really been allowed to come into
existence).

My solution is

  > yum remove beagle

and you will never see it again.

FWIW, on ubuntu 7.10 they have dropped beagle in favour of tracker (by
default). This aims to do exactly the same thing, but is written in C
instead. Whilst I don't really use these features myself, when running
ubuntu I've yet felt the need to remove it, as it is much less resource
hungry.

Hopefully fedora will go the same way and dump beagle sometime soon.

Chris