unable to read group information from repositories.

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Nov 29 18:23:57 UTC 2007

We tried to netinstall some machines this morning and got the following
error:

"Unable to read group information from repositories.  This is a problem
with the generation of your install tree."

We were originally installing from a local mirror which is synced from
mirrors.kernel.org.  The problem is in the Fedora Updates repository (if
we comment it out, the installation works).  We have the same problem if
we go directly to the upstream mirror:

repo --name=fedora-updates --baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/8/x86_64

We get this error with mirrors.kernel.org (last updated 29-Nov-2007
06:40), mirror.anl.gov (last updated 29-Nov-2007 00:40), and
mirrors.usc.edu (last updated 28-Nov-2007 22:40).

However, the following mirror works: fedora.mirrors.tds.net (last
updated 26-Nov-2007 14:58).

It seems like there was a problem introduced sometime between the 26th
and the 28th of November.  Is this a known problem?

Thanks.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/