Windows XP Sucks!

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 30 04:30:46 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Or get XP added to a "How Stuff Doesn't Work" website.
>
> FUD.
>
> XP does not work? That statement I don't understand.
>
> Karl tried to open the file he downloaded with WinZip and it is a WinRar
> archive. Different archive format. So? Not Windows fault. Pebcak.
> Inexperience in Windows on Karl's part which is understandable.

I had to deal with a RAR file for a BIOS upgrade for some board
recently. Windows XP does not have a utility in its fold to deal with
the extraction of the archive. The file ended in .rar though. I found an
extraction program to unrar the file.
I have not encountered a self-extracting rar file fortunately yet. The
point that it was a windows executable with the .exe was right. He would
not have had to chase down a RAR extraction program.
I still think inclusion of XP for a "How Stuff Doesn't Work" would be
ideal and appropriate.

I did find one for Vista. It sounds like they are describing beagle.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/08/vista-rubbish

Jim

--
I'm still waiting for the "Honk if you hate Microsoft" [bumper sticker],
but that might get annoying, everyone honking at you.

    -- From a Slashdot.org post