FC7 on my lappy, F8 dvd in drive, fresh powerup

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Fri Nov 30 13:50:52 UTC 2007

On Fri November 30 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd
> activity, at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago.  The
> machine is relatively cool, so its not working very hard.  No response to
> the tab, alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.
>
> What is next folks?

There will be other suggestions. I faced the same problem with both of my F7
machines. I opted for a yum upgrade. I've had no regrets. After any upgrade,
there are a few small problems - on both my machines, I felt like they were
less than usual, but, that's anecdotal - it took under an hour to fix the
issues I had post-upgrade this time, on both machines. I remember some in
times past, that took up to several days. In no case have any of the issues
been show-stopping. The machines booted, performed all the necessary daily
work, my favorite recipe finally turned out for the dinner party for eight,
my wife got a raise, life was good --- oh, wait.........

Joking aside, the post upgrade issues on both my yum upgrade F7->F8 machines
were trivial last month. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Time spent in
both cases was about 7 hours on broadband connections (T1 at the office and
3mb DSL at home)

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA