forkbomb attack

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 18:20:02 UTC 2007

Zhukov Pavel wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 5:52 PM, Chris Snook <csnook at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Zhukov Pavel wrote:
>>> why modern fedora affected by simple forkbomb attack?
>>>
>> Because it's hard to set static defaults that are reasonable for both a low-end
>> laptop and a 16-core server with 128 GB of RAM.  Theoretically we could
>> configure the defaults in limits.conf dynamically at installation time, but no
>> one has ever cared enough to write the code and test it on the wide range of
>> hardware and software configurations required to get it right.
>>
>> Personally, I find the current settings work just fine.  The only way I can
>> forkbomb my old 384 MB, 1-core powerbook is with a synthetic forkbomb, and the
>> fix for it is "don't do that".  It survives an accidental forkbomb, such as
>> those caused by foolish application handler settings.  If you're running
>> arbitrary code from untrusted users, a forkbomb is the least of your problems.
>> On my 2-core, 2 GB systems, which is a reasonable minimum target for interactive
>> servers allowing logins by semi-trusted users, I can't even synthetically
>> forkbomb the box without root privileges.  The most I can do is lock up my X
>> server, which is cured by a remote ssh and a kill.  This might be what's
>> happening to you.
>>
>> If you think there's something really wrong, please open a bug with specifics.
>>
>>         -- Chris
>>
>> --
>>

> hm. for example, can i keep in reserve for example 5% of system
> resources for root user?

If you mean CPU time, this is precisely what the upstream group scheduler work
will do.  It's a work in progress.

> i just successfully DoS C2D5600/2GB laptop with simple :(){ :|:& };:

Did you try switching virtual terminals with ctrl-alt-f*, killing X with
ctrl-alt-backspace (assuming it's running in an xterm), or sshing in remotely?
The most I can do on a similar machine is hang X.

	-- Chris