reading from local mailbox file in thunderbird

Hi,

Does anyone know how to read from a local mailbox file on thunderbird? The
trouble is that I have fetchmail to dump mail into my local folders and then I
have to read it from there. No options: this is a place of work requirement.

Any suggestions? TB seems to have a POP or IMAP option, nothing else.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter