basic question about assigning ip address

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 1 01:58:24 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Peter Horst wrote:
> >
> > I have 4 addresses total, 66.92.blah.blah.   My setup, until the Linksys
> > broke, was (from "outside" to "inside"):
> >
> > ADSL modem
> > Linksys (connected to the DSL not via its "WAN" port, but via one of its
> > "LAN" ports)
> > Windows Laptop (66.92.blah.bleh) - Linux "server" (66.92.bleh.blah)
> >
> > That's it - pretty simple setup - the only wrinkle was the bit about the
> > Linksys not running NAT or DHCP, but just passing the traffic through to
> > the "internal" devices.
> >
> > Thank you - as a last-second thought, it occurs to me that I might be
> > able to connect the Server directly to the DSL modem, then connect the
> > Zyxel to that - it's not really important to me that the laptop have its
> > own address.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> Does the Zyxel have an option to turn off its DHCP server? If so,
> you could use the same setup as you were using with the Linksys.
> Turning on or off NAT should not be a problem, because that is
> normally only between the WAN port the the rest of the network. It
> should have no affect on the machines connected on the LAN side in
> this case.
>
> Mikkel

It does have an option to turn off the DHCP server - problem is, when I
connect the Zyxel in the same way that I used to connect the Linksys, it
exhibits odd, dysfunctional behavior, viz. it only works with one of my
two machines.  I can connect one other machine, either wirelessly or
wired, but when I plug in the second, I suddenly lose the ability on the
first to find my DNS servers.  I guess I should do more testing - that's
not a very precise error report...