Security basics

I have sure heard a LOT about security updates and I have had my own problems. For years I thought the only thing necessary was a good root password. This year I found out with ssh around you need a good password for your own login name. My problem was caused by having a super poor login password which was my last name. Since the login name was karl it followed.

Fixed that problem with a real hard password for karl and root has a changable hard password. In my olden working days we had safes for State Secrets and they had what were called "one hour" locks and 30 minute burn protection. We changed the combination every 6 months. Drove me bats!

So the question is this: If I have passwords that are safe for an hour, is not my computer safe from tampering? I guess the Internet could send you a file that works to discover passwords and then emails them to the sender? But this is hard to do.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User