Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 20:18:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 10:24 -0500, Peter Horst wrote:
> I'm connecting to an FC5 machine via PuTTY and playing mp3s stored there
> using "orpheus," an ncurses-based player.  Is there is a "hi-fi" way to
> connect this Linux machine to my stereo (an Onkyo TX-SR600, if it could
> possibly matter)?  I know there are various products that connect a
> Windows machine to a stereo via USB (e.g. "HiFi Link" etc.) - is there a
> Linux version of the same?  Not a big deal, of course - worse comes to
> worst, I can just use a minijack-to-RCA splitter.

I've got nothing for you on the minijack-to-RCA thing, but I'd suggest
installing the Music Player Daemon (mpd, available in livna) onto the
FC5 machine.

There are loads of clients for it (gmpc available in Fedora is my
personal favorite) and even a few for Windows.

The idea is that you're able to control your music from any computer on
the network.  I currently have an F7 headless box running mpd hooked up
to my sound system.  My wife and I are able to control the music from
our respective laptops (also running F7) using gmpc.

Jonathan