CD/DVD drive not recognized.

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:27:35 UTC 2007

> He is using F7, so it will be /dev/scd? - probably /dev/scd0
> Remember, in F7, all IDE drives are handled as SCSI drives. Hard
> drives are sda, sdb, sdc, etc, regardless of where they sit on the
> chain. (Except that the chain is scanned in the normal order.)
> CD/DVD drives are scd0, scd1, etc. Tape drives are st0, st1, etc.
>
> > If it's an external USB/firewire drive then it will be /dev/sd?.
> >
> Again, it will be /dev/scd? and not /dev/sd? The SCSI drivers name
> devices depending on what type of device they are.
>
> Mikkel
> --

Thanks for that clarification Mikkel.  I haven't yet jumped to F7 so
was not aware of that.  Using FC6 on one of my machines at work, and
this home machine dual boots to FC5.  I see I best get going with F7
to learn of these changes (although 8 isn't far away so may just wait
a few more months and jump right to F8 - I've been doing fresh
installs when upgrading so not an issue).  Is this only F7 doing this
now or other distros as well?

Jacques B.