CD/DVD drive not recognized.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Oct 7 16:50:52 UTC 2007

> Thanks for that clarification Mikkel.  I haven't yet jumped to F7 so
> was not aware of that.  Using FC6 on one of my machines at work, and
> this home machine dual boots to FC5.  I see I best get going with F7
> to learn of these changes (although 8 isn't far away so may just wait
> a few more months and jump right to F8 - I've been doing fresh
> installs when upgrading so not an issue).  Is this only F7 doing this
> now or other distros as well?
>
> Jacques B.

I haven't checked to see if other distributions are using the new
drivers yet. I suspect that most are not, but will be in the future.
The change does make upgrading interesting if you are not using
labels - you have to edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf before
you can boot the updated system. This is covered in the F7 release
notes.

I have 2 systems running F6, and one running F7. I also have a USB
hard drive that boots F7.

Mikkel