[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: ubject: Re: Quick scripting question



 

 

or

 

  find / -type f -name file.txt  -exec rm -f {} \;

 That will remove every file named "file.txt".  Replace with the name you want.

But be careful with this command, especially if you make syntax errors which

could remove something else.

 


-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-request redhat com [mailto:fedora-list-request redhat com]
Sent: Saturday, October 6, 2007 02:05 PM
To: fedora-list redhat com
Subject: fedora-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 47

Send fedora-list mailing list submissions to
fedora-list redhat com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
fedora-list-request redhat com

You can reach the person managing the list at
fedora-list-owner redhat com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of fedora-list digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. Re: sound capture on Fedora 7 (Joe Smith)
2. Re: (F7+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo (yonas Abraham)
3. Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo (Les)
4. Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
(yonas Abraham)
5. Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo (grey)
6. Re: No sound with Intel (ICH8 Family) (Rui Miguel Silva Seabra)
7. Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo (Peter Horst)
8. Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo (Todd Zullinger)
9. Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
(Frode Petersen)
10. Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo (Karl Larsen)
11. Quick scripting question (Chris)
12. Re: Quick scripting question (Todd Zullinger)
13. Re: Quick scripting question (Chris)
14. Re: INIT error (Mikkel L. Ellertson)
15. Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
(Frode Petersen)
16. Re: INIT error (Rohan Kulkarni)
17. Re: Quick scripting question (fred smith)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:55:45 -0400
From: Joe Smith <jes martnet com>
Subject: Re: sound capture on Fedora 7
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <fe8b62$i3o$1 sea gmane org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Andrew Wood wrote:
> Recently I've installed Audacity to edit audio captured from my
> mini-disk. The sound card I have is based on a C-Media CMI8738 chipset.
> There's only one mic socket on the card so I thought this would be a
> doddle to sample. ...

It may well this to work, but unless you know what you're doing, you
generally don't want to plug anything into the mic input except a
microphone.

For a mini-disk player, or any other audio device, you want to use the
sound card's "line in" input. There's only one of those as well ;-)

The mic input expects a much smaller signal voltage range and although
you can usually adjust the player volume low enough to get the signal
down, you're then working in a range that may not be optimal for the
player's output electronics.

The player's headphone output and the sound card's "line in" are a
better match.

<Joe



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:16:02 -0400
From: "yonas Abraham" <yabraham2 gmail com>
Subject: Re: (F7+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
To: "Mailliste, fedora-list" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
<47324ed80710060916t58690216gee4697c6240d371e mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 10/6/07, Frode Petersen <fropeter online no> wrote:
> I have recently got a problem with printing. In Evince and OOo, the
> Print button in the print dialog is greyed out, so I can't print from
> these apps. It seems as if these apps use the same print dialog(?) so
> maybe there is something wrong with the setup here.
>
> The other apps I have checked use different dialogs, and they are not
> greyed out. I can also print a test page from the printer administration
> tool. It prints fine.
>
> I also tried OOo Writer as root; the print button was still greyed out.
>
> I don't know exactly how long this problem has been present. I did't
> recognise it as a problem before today, thinking that I had stumbled
> over a pdf with printing disabled. (Can't pdfs have such a option set?)
>
> I don't understand why this happens, and I haven't been able to find the
> reason myself, so I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help.

I have seen similar issue in FC6 when I setup a "raw" printer. there
was some GTK2 related bug. I haven't test this in F7 so I don't know
if it is the same bug. But the way I solve the problem was by changing
the printer to be a postscript printer.

The bug was supposed to be fixed.

>
>
> Best regards
>
> Frode Petersen
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list redhat com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:17:51 -0700
From: Les <hlhowell pacbell net>
Subject: Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
To: fropeter online no, For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <1191687471 4281 1 camel localhost localdomain>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 17:48 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> OOops! This was the machine with FC6, not F7. Sorry!
>
> Frode Petersen
>
Hi, Frode,
I have found recently that I have to highlight the printer before the
greyed out print button will become usable. Hope this helps. I have
print to file and print to fax as well as my printer on my system.

Regards,
Les H



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:27:58 -0400
From: "yonas Abraham" <yabraham2 gmail com>
Subject: Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
To: fropeter online no, "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
<47324ed80710060927n44c59a37x6e2ce608db7f2acd mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 10/6/07, Frode Petersen <fropeter online no> wrote:
> OOops! This was the machine with FC6, not F7. Sorry!
>

so read my replay to your initial post. There were a know bug with the
same symptom, if the printer is set as raw printer in FC6. If so
change to the correct PPD file or make the printer a postscript
printer.

what type of printer is it, make model connection type, how you
created the queue?



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:55:57 -0400
From: grey <grey mail bitwolf com>
Subject: Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <200710061655 l96GtvRp016803 fenris bitwolf com>

In a tome entitled <4707A8AE 5050508 speakeasy net>, Peter Horst has written:

> Not a big deal, of course - worse comes to
> worst, I can just use a minijack-to-RCA splitter.

I'm no audiophile, but I've always had good results with a splitter.
YMMV, of course.

Paul



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 17:55:15 +0100
From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org>
Subject: Re: No sound with Intel (ICH8 Family)
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <20071006165515 GB3810 roque 1407 org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

I've been having to compile the release candidate drivers of the next
version of the alsa drivers to have sound on my hda-intel card.

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Azalia
Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 0206
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

Yes, it is an hda-intel, it's correctly detected, the drivers are loaded but
there are no devices :)

Compiling is fairly easy 3 steps:
Download alsa-driver-version.tar.bz2 to /tmp
cd /tmp
tar xjvf alsa-driver-version.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-version
1. ./configure --with-cards=snd-hda-intel
2. make
su -
cd /tmp/alsa-driver-version
3. make install

The other "steps" are more like implied necessities which I decided to
include for completeness.


On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:39:41PM -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> On 10/4/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury mandamus org> wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:16:50 +0200
> > From: "antonio montagnani" <antonio montagnani gmail com>
> > Subject: No sound with Intel (ICH8 Family)
> > To: Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
> > Message-ID:
> > <4c37b6af0710040316u4be6635dh221a7271aae88f23 mail gmail com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > I have solved my problems with Grub installation on an external USB
> > disk and now I want to solve the non audio-problem with my new laptop
> > (Acer Aspire 5720)
> >
> > The sound-card-config tool says that it is identified as snd-hda-intel.
> > >From lspci I get:
> >
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> > Controller (rev 03)
>
> Is the sound working through the headphones, but not the speakers?
>
> If so:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=290161
>
> and upstream:
>
> On 10/4/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury mandamus org> wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:16:50 +0200
> > From: "antonio montagnani" <antonio montagnani gmail com>
> > Subject: No sound with Intel (ICH8 Family)
> > To: Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
> > Message-ID:
> > <4c37b6af0710040316u4be6635dh221a7271aae88f23 mail gmail com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > I have solved my problems with Grub installation on an external USB
> > disk and now I want to solve the non audio-problem with my new laptop
> > (Acer Aspire 5720)
> >
> > The sound-card-config tool says that it is identified as snd-hda-intel.
> > >From lspci I get:
> >
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> > Controller (rev 03)
>
> Is the sound working through the headphones, but not the speakers?
>
> If so:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=290161
>
> and upstream:
>
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3394
>
> There's been no upstream activity (on the bugzilla, can't say they
> haven't done anything), so it might be worth adding a "me too"
> comment?
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list redhat com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

--
This statement is false.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 60th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ No matter how much you do, you never do enough -- unknown
+ Whatever you do will be insignificant,
| but it is very important that you do it -- Gandhi
+ So let's do it...?



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:06:05 -0500
From: Peter Horst <phorst speakeasy net>
Subject: Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4707C07D 8010900 speakeasy net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

grey wrote:
> In a tome entitled <4707A8AE 5050508 speakeasy net>, Peter Horst has written:
>
> > Not a big deal, of course - worse comes to
> > worst, I can just use a minijack-to-RCA splitter.
>
> I'm no audiophile, but I've always had good results with a splitter.
> YMMV, of course.
>
> Paul
>

You know, I'm probably just experiencing some irrational resistance here
- there just seems to be something wrong with the idea that
proper-sounding music could come out of a tiny little mini-jack :-) I'm
sure it's fine....



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:15:57 -0400
From: Todd Zullinger <tmz pobox com>
Subject: Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <20071006171557 GX10067 psilocybe teonanacatl org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Peter Horst wrote:
> You know, I'm probably just experiencing some irrational resistance
> here - there just seems to be something wrong with the idea that
> proper-sounding music could come out of a tiny little mini-jack :-)
> I'm sure it's fine....

I suppose it depends on how good your ears and your listening
standards are. I've been using a 1/8" mini-jack to RCA into my
receiver for years now and I think it sounds fine. It sounds good
enough that I've never been motivated to look for any better solution.

The cables were pretty cheap, so it's probably worth giving that
method a try. If it sounds good to you, then you don't have to look
any further.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am in shape. Round is a shape.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 542 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/attachments/20071006/7056d0bb/attachment.bin

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:33:45 +0200
From: Frode Petersen <fropeter online no>
Subject: Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
To: hlhowell pacbell net, For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4707C6F9 5000401 online no>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

Les wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 17:48 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
>> OOops! This was the machine with FC6, not F7. Sorry!
>>
>> Frode Petersen
>>
> Hi, Frode,
> I have found recently that I have to highlight the printer before the
> greyed out print button will become usable. Hope this helps. I have
> print to file and print to fax as well as my printer on my system.
>
> Regards,
> Les H
>

I have print to file. If I select it immediately after opening the
dialog, the print button becomes usable, but if I then select one of the
printers (one printer, different setups) it is disabled again. If I then
select print to file, the button does not activate. I have to close and
reopen the dialog to get print to file working again.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't noticed this behavior earlier.

Frode



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:40:32 -0600
From: Karl Larsen <k5di zianet com>
Subject: Re: Music - connecting FC5 machine to home stereo
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4707C890 7000806 zianet com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Peter Horst wrote:
>
>> You know, I'm probably just experiencing some irrational resistance
>> here - there just seems to be something wrong with the idea that
>> proper-sounding music could come out of a tiny little mini-jack :-)
>> I'm sure it's fine....
>>
>
> I suppose it depends on how good your ears and your listening
> standards are. I've been using a 1/8" mini-jack to RCA into my
> receiver for years now and I think it sounds fine. It sounds good
> enough that I've never been motivated to look for any better solution.
>
> The cables were pretty cheap, so it's probably worth giving that
> method a try. If it sounds good to you, then you don't have to look
> any further.
>
>
The big problem with a tiny mini jack is just that if it gets hit by
anything it will break and be a mess. Also vibrations can cause it to
be noisy. But in a matter of a few years it should work great.

I have the same thing and I remote it out front and plug in good
earphones and a mike. My hearing is poor and no room for a pair of big
speakers. So I listen to my music from the sound card on my motherboard
and the sound is GREAT!



--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.



------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:41:06 -0500
From: Chris <racerx makeworld com>
Subject: Quick scripting question
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <20071006124106 2b399e02 racerx makeworld com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

How would I script removing a file (globally) ?

Meaning, say the file name test however, it's in multiple directories
throughout the system without having to go into each dir manually.

TIA

--
Best regards,
Chris
Registerd Linux user number 448639



------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:52:55 -0400
From: Todd Zullinger <tmz pobox com>
Subject: Re: Quick scripting question
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <20071006175255 GY10067 psilocybe teonanacatl org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Chris wrote:
> How would I script removing a file (globally) ?

Very carefully. :)

> Meaning, say the file name test however, it's in multiple
> directories throughout the system without having to go into each dir
> manually.

This would find any file named test and remove it, by trawling the
filesystem:

$ find / -name test | xargs rm

If the file you want to find has spaces or other odd characters in it,
you may need to use:

$ find / -name test -print0 | xargs -0 rm

You could also use locate instead of find, which would save traversing
the filesystem, but wouldn't catch files created since the locate db
was updated last.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damn you and your estrogenical treachery!
-- Stewie Griffin

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 542 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/attachments/20071006/cd8cdd87/attachment.bin

------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:57:37 -0500
From: Chris <racerx makeworld com>
Subject: Re: Quick scripting question
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Cc: tmz pobox com
Message-ID: <20071006125737 081a8f73 racerx makeworld com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 13:52:55 -0400
Todd Zullinger <tmz pobox com> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > How would I script removing a file (globally) ?
>
> Very carefully. :)
>
> > Meaning, say the file name test however, it's in multiple
> > directories throughout the system without having to go into each dir
> > manually.
>
> This would find any file named test and remove it, by trawling the
> filesystem:
>
> $ find / -name test | xargs rm
>
> If the file you want to find has spaces or other odd characters in it,
> you may need to use:
>
> $ find / -name test -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>
> You could also use locate instead of find, which would save traversing
> the filesystem, but wouldn't catch files created since the locate db
> was updated last.
>

Thank you sir!

--
Best regards,
Chris
Registerd Linux user number 448639



------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:10:53 -0500
From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel infinity-ltd com>
Subject: Re: INIT error
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4707CFAD 6050500 infinity-ltd com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
> I have installed Fedora 7 on my system with GNOME 2.18 desktop.I
> updated it to 2.18.3.On rebooting my system I get an error
> INIT : ID 'X' spawning too fast : stopped for 5 minutes.
> On pressing [Enter] key I get the login,but in runlevel 3.I then
> have to use "startx" for the GUI.
> What is this error???how should I rectify it?
>
It sounds like the Display Manager isn't loading. The default is to
use gdm. As for why it is not loading, you can look at the logs, or
run /usr/sbin/gdm as root, and see what errors you get. It is also
possible that there is a problem with the scripts that start the
display manager of your choice, but I would not expect that.

Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/attachments/20071006/7dda379d/signature.bin

------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:26:46 +0200
From: Frode Petersen <fropeter online no>
Subject: Re: (FC6+Gnome) Printing disabled in Evince and OOo
To: "Mailliste, fedora-list" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID: <4707D366 9080900 online no>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

yonas Abraham wrote:
> There were a know bug with the
> same symptom, if the printer is set as raw printer in FC6. If so
> change to the correct PPD file or make the printer a postscript
> printer.

> what type of printer is it, make model connection type, how you
> created the queue?

I'm not shure of what you mean by 'raw printer'. Is it specific to
postscript setups?

The printer is a HP LaserJet 6L, printing through CUPS, normally with
the Gutenprint driver, but I also have setups defined with hpijs and
(for testing) ljet4 drivers. (The last two from the foomatic package.)
Test pages print as they should.

They were set up through the Fedora menu/System/Administration/Printers
program (I'm not shure of the correct english name for the utility, but
it has a Red Hat owned copyright, written by Florian Festi, Tim Waugh)

The strange thing is that this setup has worked for months and just
recently stopped working. I am not aware of any changes to drivers or
sybsystem, and I have sole access to admin utils.

That is, while writing this I checked for any .rpmnew files lying
around, and found two printing related.
(/usr/share/config/kdeprintrc.rpmnew and
/usr/share/config/ui/kprintpreviewui.rc.rpmnew) I think these have to do
with KDE, and as I use Gnome they shouldn't be the cause of the problem.
I'll check it out anyway just in case.

I noticed another oddity. On the print dialog's second page where the
page setup is specified, you can specify pages per sheet, duplex, paper
type, paper source and output tray. These are all greyed out and marked
as 'not accessible' or 'not available' (I use a different localisation.)

Thanks for the tip, Yonas. There seems to be a bit more road ahead
before arriving at a solution, but every step helps in getting there.

Frode



------------------------------

Message: 16
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:57:33 +0530
From: "Rohan Kulkarni" <rohan sjce gmail com>
Subject: Re: INIT error
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list redhat com>
Message-ID:
<7ab3ad200710061127o49fd8ae4y140707048ffbf399 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

On running /usr/sbin/gdm it says file not found.How do I install GDM again?

On 10/6/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel infinity-ltd com> wrote:
>
> Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have installed Fedora 7 on my system with GNOME 2.18 desktop.I
> > updated it to 2.18.3.On rebooting my system I get an error
> > INIT : ID 'X' spawning too fast : stopped for 5 minutes.
> > On pressing [Enter] key I get the login,but in runlevel 3.I then
> > have to use "startx" for the GUI.
> > What is this error???how should I rectify it?
> >
> It sounds like the Display Manager isn't loading. The default is to
> use gdm. As for why it is not loading, you can look at the logs, or
> run /usr/sbin/gdm as root, and see what errors you get. It is also
> possible that there is a problem with the scripts that start the
> display manager of your choice, but I would not expect that.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
> Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list redhat com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/attachments/20071006/eb038d84/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 17
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 15:05:32 -0400
From: fred smith <fredex fcshome stoneham ma us>
Subject: Re: Quick scripting question
To: fedora-list redhat com
Message-ID: <20071006190532 GA2139 fcshome stoneham ma us>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 01:52:55PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > How would I script removing a file (globally) ?
>
> Very carefully. :)

Yes, you need to be very CAREFUL using this suggestion:

There is SUPPOSED to be a program named test on the system, and this
command will remove it.

see:
ls -l /usr/bin/test
and
man test

then use this with care.

>
> > Meaning, say the file name test however, it's in multiple
> > directories throughout the system without having to go into each dir
> > manually.
>
> This would find any file named test and remove it, by trawling the
> filesystem:
>
> $ find / -name test | xargs rm
>
> If the file you want to find has spaces or other odd characters in it,
> you may need to use:
>
> $ find / -name test -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>
> You could also use locate instead of find, which would save traversing
> the filesystem, but wouldn't catch files created since the locate db
> was updated last.
>
> --
> Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Damn you and your estrogenical treachery!
> -- Stewie Griffin
>



> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list redhat com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex fcshome stoneham ma us -----------------------------
The Lord detests the way of the wicked
but he loves those who pursue righteousness.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:9 (niv) -----------------------------
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/attachments/20071006/05e3763a/attachment.bin

------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list redhat com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

End of fedora-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 47
*******************************************


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]