boot time challenge

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:12:03 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:
> P.S. Very nearly half of that 1.11 is spent in a blank
> stare after the boot messages say "Starting Redhat Nash".

The reason it's blank is because grub tells the kernel to not spew out
information about device detection and such. If you want to see it,
remove the "quiet" flag from grub.conf. (Or, if you want to see it once,
press 'e'(edit) when grub menu comes up, remove 'quiet' from the command
line and press 'b' (boot))

Also, I agree with the other posters - I use Fedora on my laptop and
frequently wish it started up faster. Sleep mode is nice (and *appears*
to work), but I don't trust it all that much. I'd rather the data on my
HD was synced :)