How To Go INTO LINUX RESCUE Mode Installtion??

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Oct 9 07:25:31 UTC 2007

> the system now does shows the password prompt hwever it boots up whether
> in SINGLE mode from the MAIN MENU or through the as usual process.

The rescue disk is good if your situation is really bad, but I would
have thought you could come up in single user mode like this.  You talk
about login prompts in the same breath as "single mode" though, I think
maybe you did not really select single user mode yet.

To select single user mode, press 'A' at the GRUB prompt and add a '1'
character at the end of the kernel command line.  Then press enter to
continue the boot.

After the kernel starts like that, instead of going through the
initscripts (the [OK] stuff) as normal, you will just drop to a root
bash prompt without any passwords.

-Andy