GPL

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Oct 9 12:39:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 07:04:54AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 06:30:02PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >>MySql also has a commercial license
> >
> >MySQL also has a *proprietary* license which they sell you (commercially).
> >
> >Free Software is also commercial! You can use Free Software to gain money
> >even if you release your program under the GPL.
>
> You can sell one copy - but you can't prevent that customer from giving
> away copies to everyone else.  Or you can give the program away yourself
> and sell support.

You can charge for as many copies as you want, as much as you can charge it
for. You can also charge 0.

In any of the cases, you can also charge for support.

> >>if you don't want to release your
> >>product under the GPL.  But again, postgresql, apache and tomcat do not
> >>have the GPL restrictions and there is no problem building commercial
> >>applications with them.
>
> >There isn't any problem building commercial applications with MySQL's GPL
> >version. MySQL is capitalizing on the confusion between the terms
> >proprietary and commercial in order to convince many to buy their
> >proprietary license.
>
> If you use libraries (like the MySQL client) covered by the GPL and
> distribute the program, the entire work must be under GPL terms -
> although I think an earlier message had a link to an exception for MySql
> for some other open source license terms.

But you do not merely "use" libraries, you include them in the program.

That's why :)

Rui

--

Today is Boomtime, the 63rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?