The case against NetworkManager

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Oct 9 14:57:20 UTC 2007

>>> It sends out a message saying something like "Get a better card".
>>> Basically, I believe the Orinoco card does not support
>>> the kind of scanning that NM uses.
>> That is a fault in the driver that needs to be fixed. Make sure you have
>> a bug report filed.
>
> NM assumes scanning features not present in all hardware: amongst its
> countless other problems and flaws - inability to handle static
> addressing, bluetooth support, auto/no-autoconnect, handling hidden
> stations, not exploding if fed the 'million base station' attack,

Uh... rather trepidaciously I have to interject that it does handle
hidden ssid APs ... in the UI anyway.

Also it was far crapper than it is now just a little while ago, it seems
to be on a good overall decrapulation trajectory if you're not in a rush
(he said, suppressing the memory of how broken it is/was in F8 a couple
of weeks ago anyway).

-Andy