F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Oct 9 15:16:41 UTC 2007

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> Up until this past weekend, I had a very happy dual boot configuration
> with Windows XP (32 bit) and Fedora 7 x86-64 on my machine. It had
> been a few weeks since I had last booted Linux, and I hadn't had any
> problems with it before now. I got the latest kernel and other updates
> via yum as I normally do, but when I went to reboot, all I got was a
> simple text message saying "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of my
> screen, and that's all I've gotten ever since.
>
> I just tried to do an upgrade install of Fedora 7 to fix the issue,
> and specifically told it to replace the boot loader configuration on
> the proper partition, but that didn't work to correct the issue. A
> little more detail is that I'm using the Windows XP boot.ini/boot
> configuration to load WinXP or to load GRUB which in turn loads Linux.
> Could this be an issue where I need to get a new copy of the boot
> sector for F7? (Booting the rescue CD, and getting the first 512 bytes
> of the boot partition, and copying it over to the Windows partition so
> it can properly init everything?) If not, what should I do to recover
> this installation?
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond
>
> P.S. For the record, SELinux is disabled if that helps any.

    It can be the windows boot loader that is having a problem. I have
never heard of that boot loader then calling grub.

    I think you need to set up the simple grub boot for both Linux and
Windows. But first you need to get on your Linux.

    Use your rescue mode on the F7 DVD and when up type grub and it will
get you into the grub mode. Learn what hard drive you have. If just one
then it is in grub-talk (hd 0) and your Linux will be on something like
(hd 0,3). Find out which is right.

Now in the grub mode type these:

grub> root (hd 0,3)

grub> setup (hd 0)

    If you do not know all this info use fdisk to print out your hard drive.

When I works you will boot up in Linux. Then you can edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf to let you boot your windows.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User