_X11TransSocketINETConnect() fails when install FC6

I picked up a used Dell OptiplexG260 from the university surplus. I assume it had WinXP on it (didn't look). I slipped in the FC6 install #1, and ran through the install in text mode, because I got this message: _X11TranSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost :6001 : Temporary failure in name resolution Cannot open display ":1"

After install, it boots to login, rather than graphic. Do I have to do something about wiping drive, before installing FC6 from CD? How do I correct display, and get graphics running in runlevel 5 at boot? Any pointers to steps greatly appreciated.
Tom