The case against NetworkManager

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:59:45 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I see that there is a proposal to make NM (Network Manager)
> a standard feature of Fedora-8, replacing system-config-network
> in its various forms.

Just to trading stories a bit:

I went on a one month vacation, and had previously been advised to use
NetworkManager on a wired network setup where there may be short term
network loss - since NetworkManager would manage things for me.

2/3 of the month through, and thousands of miles away, the machine
stopped responding... I thought it had overheated (I turned of the
AC). When I got back, after hours of looking around, I found out that
NetworkManager simply wasn't picking up a newly assigned dynamic IP
from my ISP for some wierd reason - I could see in the logs dhclient
getting the IP, but NetworkManager was ignoring it and using some
apperently random IP instead.

Unfortunately I was too upset with it to find out why, and just
removed the thing. I was later told that I should have used
NetworkManager on a wired network anyways.

I have been since jaded against NetworkManager... this was in FC6.

( www.pembo13.com )