log out and restart xserver fc6?

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Wed Oct 10 03:12:05 UTC 2007

I have two computers.  One monitor.  The settings on one computer with
old monitor seemed OK.  When I hooked up new monitor, it now reads in
Administration -> Display:
resolution: 1400x1050
millions colors

The other computer (my newer one) keeps defaulting to:
640x480
thousands colors

I checked the older computer's xorg.conf file and it reads:
Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device     "Videocard0"
     DefaultDepth     24
     Subsection "Display"
          Viewport     0  0
          Depth     24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

When I try to set the newer computer to the same settings, it invariably
defaults to the 640x480 settings, or goes whacky, and can't load
xserver.  I then have to go to terminal and run:
#  system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution 1024x768
--set-depth 16 and restart computer to get back to 640x480 settings.
Confusing to say the least.

Is there another file involved that I don't know about?  Is there a
special order to go about changing resolution and depth?
Tom