F8T3: Window frames missing

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Oct 10 18:58:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 17:45 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to Fedora 8 Test 3, I have lost my window frames. For
> example, gterm opens a window, and I can see the menu, but the frame
> around is missing. In particular, I cannot drag or iconize the window.
>
> I have checked my .xsession-errors. It contained error messages that
> indicated that NM (Network Manager?) was crashing. I have disabled
> Network Manager, and now I have no more error messages, but the
> situation hasn't changed.
>
> Another symptom: My desktop hasn't got any background images anymore.
> (Before, it had the default background of Fedora 7.)
>
> I have disabled compiz, in case that should be the problem, but no luck.
>
> Any recommendations, what I might do or where to look for error messages?

The odds are that your window manager (metacity) isn't running.  If you
can get an xterm, try running "metacity --replace" and all should be OK.

If it happens again, you can make sure it's forced to start by going to
System->Preferences->Sessions, then go to the "Startup Programs" tab and
click "Add".  In the box that pops up, put "Metacity" in the "Name"
section and "metacity --replace" in the "Command" section.  Click on
"OK".  This will force it to start when your session starts.  This is
ye ol' "belts and suspenders" solution.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     If one is what one eats, then I am fast, cheap and greasy!     -